This is a classic pesto pasta dish that my mum made for the first time in the 70s. Titled “Green Basil Sauce” mum said ‘We thought we were so modern’.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp roasted pine nuts
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups basil leaves
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp salt if needed
- In the blender put ½ the oil, basil and garlic and toasted pine nuts. It is important that the oil goes in first.
- When all is blended add the remaining oil (if needed).
- Add to hot cooked pasta and sprinkle Parmesan cheese when serving.
- Add 2 chopped fresh chillies for the adults.
- Pine Nut Toasting
- Can be done on stove in a non-stick saucepan, medium heat, shake the pan every 20 seconds for a couple of minutes until nuts are golden. In the oven on a baking sheet in medium heat for 5-10 minutes until golden.