This beef stew recipe calls for 2 hours to simmer on the stove, so keep the kitchen nice and warm this afternoon to make a warm winter dish that the kids will love.
- 250g casserole beef, chuck steak or leftover red meat
- 1 potato
- 1 carrot
- 1 tbsp butter, margarine or oil
- 1 onion
- ½ cup peas
- 2 tbsp flour (or use leftover gravy instead of flour, stock cube & water)
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 cup tin tomatoes OR 1 fresh tomato OR 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- Dice onion, potato, carrot and meat.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, fry the onions until soft and then add the flour, mix well and add the meat.
- When the meat has browned, add the crumbled stock cube, stir, add mushrooms, stir, and add the tomatoes and water, stir.
- Add the veggies, season to taste.
- Bring to the boil and turn down to low heat for as long as possible, preferably 2 hours.
- Check on it from time to time so nothing is going awry.