My favourite dinner as a child, and still my favourite dinner as an adult, I can never go wrong with spaggy bol. The recipe does change from time to time, add a splash of red wine if there’s any going. I also have started to regularly add half a ripe pear. The natural sweetener is irresistible.
- 500g beef mince (pork is traditionally used also)
- 1-2 onions diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp mixed (or Italian) herbs
- 1 tbsp Oregano (any herbs you like to use can be chucked in here too)
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 2 x 400g tins diced tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- Healthy splash Tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce & salt and pepper
- Fry onions until soft and add herbs.
- Throw in the mince and garlic and stir until meat is browned.
- Crumble stock cubes and mix them in, and then add the tomatoes and water (HINT: I swish the water around in the tins to get all the remaining tomato juice).
- Throw in the splashes of sauces and season.
- Boil up some pasta and here you have my childhood and adulthood favourite ever meal.
Add a tin of rinsed lentils to sneak in another vegetable
Add half a pear for a little natural sweetening