This is one of those dishes that takes me back to childhood, my mum loves corned beef with white sauce! My kids loved this too, it’s nice to cook in cool weather to keep the kitchen warm.
- a cut of corned beef (mine was about 1.2kg)
- 1 onion
- 1 apple
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- water to cover
- Place the beef in a deep saucepan and fill with water until covering the meat.
- Quarter the apple and peeled onion and add them with the sugar, cloves and bay leaves into the pot and bring to the boil (lid on).
- Once boiling, turn heat down to simmer about ⅓ heat, and depending on your stove you will need to simmer it for 30-40 minutes per 500g, keeping the lid on.
- If you have a pressure cooker it will come in handy right now
- Make a batch of White Sauce to pour over the top and serve with your favourite seasonal veggies.