A lovely old English leek pie recipe using a breadcrumb base and a creamy and cheesy top. Perfect for the kids dinner, or even a fancy lunch with friends.
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp mixed herbs
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2-3 leeks
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 tomatoes
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1¼ cup milk
- Base – rub breadcrumbs and butter together and then add the rest of the base ingredients.
- Press into a flan dish and bake at 220C for 15-20 minutes.
- Sauce – Clean and slice the leeks and chop tomatoes (when chopping up the leek remember to only use the white and pale green part of the leek).
- In a pan melt the butter and add the leeks and saute for 5 minutes, then stir in the flour, add milk and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, throw in the tomatoes and simmer for a couple of minutes, and then pour it onto the base.
- Top with more breadcrumbs (just a sprinkling) and bake at 180C for 20 minutes.