Thanks to Nan for this marvelous fish pie recipe which we ask her to cook every time she comes to visit us. Such an easy way to encourage fish into the kids’ diets.
- 1kg mixed white and/or smoked fish suggest Cod, Haddock, Basa, Blue Grenadier, Nile Perch, Salmon, Prawns etc. Smoked fish (Cod or Haddock etc.) You can take your liberties here and use what you like
- 4-5 large potatoes
- 3-4 diced carrots, boiled or microwaved until nearly tender (just 5 minutes)
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 heaped tbsp flour
- Boil the potatoes for mashing, and while waiting get the carrots on the boil.
- Skin the fish and roughly chop into 2cm square pieces.
- Slice and dice the leek and onion.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and soften the onions first, then add the leeks and lastly mushrooms.
- Stir in flour, and then add the milk, the sauce should thicken as it heats up.
- Add drained carrots and all the fish, season and mix well, doesn’t need to cook any further on the stove.
- Put into oven-safe dish and spread mashed potato all over the top.
- Pop into the oven at 150-200C, depending on how hot your oven cooks (I go with 180, but Nan’s fiery oven only needs 150) for 45 minutes, or until piping hot and browned on top.