Try something new tonight and give Japanese savoury pancake – Okonomiyaki – a go. Heaps of veggies, nice and healthy, and won’t take long to throw together.
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup flour
- ⅔ cup chicken stock
- 3 eggs
- 2 sliced shallots (for the Aussies – Spring onions for the poms)
- 6 strips bacon
- 2 Chinese sausages – I used twiggy sticks, like mini salami sticks
- Heat the frying pan (or griddle if you have one available) with a little oil to half heat, not high.
- Combine flour and stock until smooth, add the egg, cabbage, shallots and sausage, but no need to mix it too thoroughly.
- When the fry pan (or griddle) is hot pour the mixture in (above combination should make two large pancakes) being careful to keep it in a round shape and then lie the bacon on the top of the uncooked side.
- Squish it flat to about 1.5cm and give it 3 minutes on the first side, then flip it. This is the hard bit, it’s a bit scary but if you use 2 egg flips and a good bit of gusto you should be right.
- minutes on the second side with the bacon face down, and then another 3 minutes on the first side again.
- Divide equally and eat as is, or as I like it with a bit of brown sauce and mayonnaise decoration.