Our Pops’ signature dish for which we always show our gratitude with a short silence and then clean plates. Cottage pie is like Shepherd’s pie but using beef mince.
- 500g beef mince
- 1 diced onion
- 5 sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup gravy (using powder is easiest)
- 2 beef stock cubes
- ½ cup water
- 1 tin baked beans
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 7 potatoes
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Peel seven medium size potatoes, cut up and boil until soft after adding salt.
- In a large saucepan, fry onion until it is soft, add mushrooms and mince and make sure you get all the lumps out.
- Mix up gravy and pour in, break up beef stock cubes and stir in, mix in baked beans and chopped tomatoes and stir well until simmering.
- Add pepper and salt and stir again, leave simmering for about five minutes.
- Mash up potatoes on warm hob to make them fluffy.
- Pour meat mixture into oven safe dish and top with potato.
- Scour potato in both directions with fork. Depending on taste, grate cheese on top.
- Bake in oven 45 minutes until top is crispy brown. Serve with vegetables of choice (my choice is peas!).