Easy enough for any beginner in the kitchen to whip up, Shepherd’s Pie is warm and cosy and reminds me of the day after having a roast lamb as a child.
- 500gm Lamb mince
- 4-5 large potatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 chicken and 1 beef stock cube
- 1 small cup of diced mushrooms
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 2-3 diced carrots
- ½ cup peas
- Peel and boil potato for mashing.
- Prepare carrots and soft boil them in the microwave (or stove) for 5 minutes.
- In a large saucepan fry the onions and garlic gently.
- Add the mince and break it up well.
- When browned add the stock cubes, mushrooms, and tinned tomatoes.
- Add the peas and carrots, the mix may need a little more water, I suggest using the water the carrots were boiled in.
- Mix well and when ready spoon into an oven-safe dish, topped with the mashed potato.
- Pop into the oven at 180C for 30 minutes or so, or until bubbling and browned on top.