This classic English recipe is so easy to make, and a really fun meal for the kids. They love Toad in the Hole with some nice steamed greens and of course baked beans.
- 4-5 sausages
- ⅔ cup plain flour (must be plain)
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cup mixed milk and water (ratio being ⅔ milk)
- English (Imperial) version:
- 4 ounces plain flour (plain only)
- 1 egg
- ½ pint mixed milk and water (ratio being ⅔ milk)
- Preheat oven to 220C, pour a little oil into a baking dish – I find a slice tin is the best shape and size for a kids size meal.
- Place the sausages into the dish and stick in the oven while making the batter.
- For the batter, pop the flour into a bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Add the egg, and slowly stir as the milk and water mixture is being added. Mix well until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish over the sausages (as quickly as possible letting the least amount of heat leave the dish and oven) and leave on high heat for 20 minutes.
- Then turn the oven down to 160C for a further 30 minutes. Leave the door closed, as tempted as you may be to check and see how it is going, you need to keep the heat in. If the batter has started to peel away from the sides then it should be ready. If you want to check further then look to the middle where the batter will be less cooked.