Great to top veggies, fish, anything really. Handy to know for making Beschamel in Lasagne, Cauliflower Cheese or Chicken Pie to name just a few.
This recipe is for a small amount (1 serving), a Lasagne for example needs a larger amount – multiply by 3 (and add more milk to get the right consistency).
Serves: 3 sauce
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- ¾ cup milk
- Melt butter in a good pan that wont burn your sauce to the bottom.
- When melted and bubbling a little, add the flour and stir to fully mix.
- Turn the stove down a little and add milk – just a splash at a time.
- Each time you add milk stir vigorously so the mixture is smooth.
- Continue until it is the right consistency.
- Don’t worry if you get lumps, you can usually work them out with a bit of strong stirring.
- If you prefer a runnier or thicker sauce consistency just add more or less milk.
- Sauce will thicken slightly off the stove.